Friday, August 1, 2008

New dining room!

So now to explain what kept me from blogging this past week....first, a story (perhaps you can relate?). Several months ago, after MUCH frustrations in trying to keep our great room toy-free (we don't have the blessings of a family room and living room), I had the wacky idea that if I could replace our dining room with a kid's play room, then some order could be kept in the great room. Strange idea, I know, but my silly logic said that a play room would be used 365 days a year, dining room maybe 5. Hmmmm.....crazy,right? So I approach DH with the idea and am flatly turned down....something about "we bought a house with a dining room, we need to keep the dining room." (This is the part where Jan stews a bit with more daily frustration as she cleans up after three daughters and a husband.)

So I change tactics. If you can't beat 'em, join 'em, right? I start looking at new dining room furniture sets thinking that if DH sees the price tag, he might reconsider. (Have you priced new dr sets latetly??? Wow.) Well, just when you think you know someone, DH says "well, if we're going to get a new furniture set, we might as well replace the flooring in there first." (This is the part where Jan has to get up off the floor and close her mouth.)
O-kay! I guess I'll have to start finishing off the basement myself if I ever want a play room for the kids, but in the meantime, I fully intent to enjoy the dining room thing! So this week, DH and I ripped up old yucky carpeting (again, I ask you- who carpets a dining room?), laid new laminate flooring, and assembled my new dining room set. Thresholds aren't in yet, and then comes new base boards, but here's the almost-finished look. You like? Now I can't wait to have people over to actually eat in there! Yea!!

I had to get a close-up of the new floor....forgive me for showing some leg!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love it Love it Love it! by the way, nice legs!

Liz said...

Beautiful!

My kids play under my dining room table...

Heather said...

I LOVE IT andI LOVE I FOUND YOUR BLOG!!!! Heather

Chris said...

It is gorgeous!! And you have some seriously nice legs!

Heather said...

BTW i am at work. Do you think the deaf could wait until Erasure isn over geez... I mean hold on i'll get to you after I am done bopping...lol
Heather
7kidsandadog.blogspot.com

Doulabug said...

Absolutely gorgeous! Congratulations!