Friday, August 15, 2008

Thankful Thursday- Maggie

I know, I know- it's Friday, but life happens. Yesterday was a busy one, but our dog, Maggie has been on my mind for a while, so she is what I chose to spotlight for Thankful Thursday.

Maggie (or Margaret, if she misbehaves) has been part of our family for 10 years. She's got a wonderful, calm personality, and really believes she belongs with the family. As soon as we moved into our present house, DH's first project was a nice wooden fence around the backyard. As soon as it was finished, we were chatting in a neighbor's yard, and Maggie jumped the fence as easy as you please to join us.

Maggie is also wonderful with kids. She has almost limitless patience with them, and even let's babies pull handfuls of fur from her coat without complaint. Maggie greets us enthusiastically at the door with that perfect loyalty that dogs have, and always forgives us for our human mistakes. We could all take a lesson in kindness from good dogs.

We just learned from our vet that Maggie will soon leave us. He said she may see the end of September. How strange your perspective when you know a loved one has a time limit on this earth. I find myself more patient, more compassionate, more forgiving and more grateful for how Maggie impacts our little family. Time spent becomes more precious. I also feel guilty that I don't always have that gratitude for other family and friends around me. I suppose that's part of what Thankful Thursday is for- some reflecting and finding room for improvement.

I'm thankful for the characteristics that Maggie lends to our lives. We are blessed to have her for now.

2 comments:

Crystal said...

We'll miss Maggie! We still have a little time to duct tape mckee to the wall and let maggie lick his feet! I'm ready when you are!

Janet said...

perhaps some peanut butter between his toes? I'll get the camera, but won't know which will bring better results- McKee's face or his feet!!