Sunday, November 2, 2008

To Host or Not To Host


Okay, friends, I need some help. The Great Turkey Day is approaching and I'm trying to decide to Host or Not To Host (and I don't mean Stephenie Meyer's book- although it's another good one!).

Turkey Day is a big family event, and a closer examination of the past reveals DH and I traveling (thankfully around town) to the HIS family and the HER family (truth be told the scales tipped way in favor of the HIS, but who's checking?). Along came children, and it's more of the same. (wait- is that a blessing or a curse to have both in-laws in the same town.....)

So here's the gig- if we Host this year, my parents are away for another year out of state, so that takes them out of the mix. The HIS side would be 14-17 bodies in addition to our 5.

And I've never cooked a bird before.....okay, truth be told, I'm more of a dessert girl in the kitchen. And coordinating such an event involving food is not my forte- perhaps only because others have been happy to do it. Honestly, it scares me.

So, Pros- I wouldn't have to travel. I'd have help with all the side dishes, etc. I'd get to really utilize the new dining room furniture. There must be more....

Cons- I've never cooked a bird before. Do I own enough forks for everyone? The clean-up--before and after. There must be more....


What would YOU do?

5 comments:

Crystal said...

It will be so fun to use your new dining room. What a great time to learn how to cook a bird, when you have enough people to eat it so you won't have left overs if it doesn't turn out quite right. You won't have to drag the girls everywhere, so when they are tired and done, you just have to take them upstairs! I'm a big proponent of I have the children, you come to me. (Although for Thanksgiving I do go to my in-laws, but they are 3 minutes away.) I have the major holidays here because I have more control over what happens at them, and then I'm building traditions for the kids that they can relate to home. Good luck! I know this has been a struggle for you in the past!

Heather said...

I say Host.
Here is why....
You can decide the time you eat, and of course DH will have to do the clean up:P
Over come the fear Jan!

Cooking a turkey is not big deal. Wegmans has the fresh ones with the popper uper thing. Put it in the roasting pan with a little water on the bottom, rub butter or basting oil on the top, foil tent to cover and you are good to go. Open it the last half hour or so -if you have to- to brown the top. ( they have self basting ones). I am not a turkey stuffer.
I think it is the sides that are hard to do...meaning timing.
In the freezer dept - get the Rhodes rolls if you don't want to make them by scratch ahead of time.
Walmart has forks $1.00 a bundle.
You can do it!

Dori said...

You know Jan- you must host..how much better would it be for all of you not to drag the lovely 3 girls around town..just to please everyone? Besides, truth be told, you need to know how to cook a turkey. It's so easy..what is not easy when you have Wegman's nearby? You have NO idea the true advantage you have. Take it from someone without a Wegmans (so sad). Remember what Nike says..Just do it. Conquer the fear..isn't half my blog about that? I conquered some of my fear..such a releasing feeling. Go for it. Glad I can help you make that decision:) Love you LOTS!!! And miss you ever so much!

Chris said...

I say travel. Here that is. I am hosting. You can help me with the bird. Super easy by the way. Plus the kids will have fun, you can run in the 5k with me and your DH can run the 10k. Shopping at 5 am while men watch kids, oh I mean football.

Doulabug said...

Roasting a turkey is one of the easiest things to do! Ask the butcher man at Wegmans for the roasting book. Stay home and have fun! It really is not a big deal if you ask for help. You can do it!