Growing up, I remember my parents telling me of vivid memories they had about the day Kennedy was shot- that they remember exactly where they were and what they were doing the moment they heard the news, and that for days people would be going about their business, but in tears. The American people felt and shared the hurt of that tragedy. Seven years ago, it was the same- do you remember? I was working in a third grade classroom, my husband was working in the tallest building in downtown Rochester, and my sister-in-law was watching my two young daughters for us. I remember the fear and uncertainty as we learned of the pentagon and of that fateful flight in Pennsylvania- where was this going to end? What was the next target? And I remember the tremendous outpouring of help in all forms to support our brothers and sisters in those areas hit- not just for days afterward but for weeks, months and years.My first Thankful Thursday thoughts were for the patriotism and compassion that we have in this country. May we never forget.
Next was my daughter's first solo flight at pre-school. Anyone who knows Lucy knows that she can be extremely (can I emphasize that enough?) headstrong, so I had no idea if she'd take to the idea of being left "alone" at a new school. Well, she did surprisingly well, and here's proof.
Who knew? My Thankful Thoughts were for her happiness and her comfort (and you guessed it- for my 2.5 hours to myself!!).Lastly, we said goodbye to a friend of mine last night that I've known for 16 years. She and her family of 4 are moving to North Carolina (I strongly suspect an exodus edict from here to there, right Dori?). I will miss her so much. My last Thankful Thoughts for this week are for very good friends- regardless of how far away they are from us. Cathy, be safe and happy.






2 comments:
It is interesting. I can remember every detail of that day, vividly. The most vivid is that my mom was in the air that morning on the way to Rochester.
HOLY COW THAT IS LUCY?!!! SHE WENT???? did you cut off your leg? I am soooooooooooooo proud of her.
The other day as I listened to the air traffic controllers, the terrorists, and the pilots in the air around fight #93 plane,I felt that pit in my stomach again.
Post a Comment